Sunday, September 16, 2007

just two small scenes of a multi-scene dream

I dreamt that I was talking to M, this person (whom, in waking life, I hung out with during a specific period of time in my past). I was talking to him via a long distance phone call, but I could literally see him while talking to me and was aware of my own presence, as if I was witnessing the situation from a removed position yet coincidingly involved in it personally...unlike a real-life, old-fashioned phone conversation, obviously.

It's not clear how the phone conversation began or developed, but at one point in the conversation, I said something sassy. Trying to look out for him and show some care, I said something like, "you better not [something about drinking or doing something that was a bad habit] anymore." M got seriously mad at me, saying something along the lines that I had no place or right to tell him what he should or shouldn't do. Immediately sensing that he misinterpreted my sass, I explained desperately that I said what I did because I cared about him.

Now, the weird correlation about this part of my dream to my waking life is 1) The night of the dream, my roommate L and I had a semi-housewarming dinner party, during which her man P was telling K, a friend, not to drink anymore. I questioned why P was so emphatic and enthusiastic about watching K's drinking, since K did not seem to drink more than anyone else and was not out of control behavior-wise. The reason was of course that K looked like he wanted to upchuck after he sipped some tequila, is a lightweight when it comes to drinking, and last but not least, because P cares. 2) I really did have a long distance phone conversation with M more than a year ago, not about his habits or behavior tho, but about me making amends to our past and us being friends. During this conversation he actually did firmly assert that I had no right to say or argue about what was the topic at hand, which was an issue of emotions.

Why these two waking life correlations meshed together to form this dream? I don't know exactly yet.

Why M was in this dream, even though I have not seen him in approximately six years and have not had the privilege of engaging in regular, amiable contact with him for some time? Well, strangely enough, he appears very occasionally but persistently in my dreams, sometimes at the most unexpected times, when perhaps I had forgotten him altogether in my conscious life.

*********

Another part of my dream involved Thom Yorke and I watching Feivel Goes West in a movie theater and the song "Somewhere Out There" playing on the screen. In my dream, Thom Yorke (who I suspect was a guise for my waking life friend V*), had recorded a song that I already knew of that was inspired by "Somewhere Out There," but when we watched the film together, I understood why he made his song. And I tilted my head on his shoulder in response to realizing the meaning of it.

so weird.

*I make this connection, because in waking life there is a song that V shared with me that had an emotional effect on him, which he could not figure out the reason for. I tried to guess, and on my own, would wonder when I heard the song or thought of it why it was significant or powerful for him. The song, however, is from a musical and not from Feivel Goes West. But strangely enough, V actually asked me to sing "Somewhere Out There" with him, one time--I forget if it was the same time or a different occasion. The dream elements are cohesive though.