Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Beverly Hills hair salon freak out!

this morning I had this dream which on the surface seems pretty nonsensical and mostly like brain vomit, but it's pretty entertaining nonetheless...

my mom and are going to her habitual hair salon to get my hair cut, (which is a pretty regular occurrence in real life about once a year) and she is sitting down, waiting, while I walk over to the haircutting station. her usual stylist, who in the dream is a woman from her church in california, says she is too tired to cut my hair and that she's gonna sit this one out. her son (who I don't know in real life) comes up and says he's going to take over, and that he is just as competent as his mom. he starts showing me this shelf of beauty products, creams, hair lotions and what not, and I'm just standing there, listening to him drone on and on about products I couldn't care less about, waiting for him to finish because I figure he's gonna keep talking anyways so why not let him get through his shpeel. at some point I decide he's too trendy, too superficial and concerned with fashion and not function, and that he is not a trustworthy person to handle my locks. he tries to sit me down in the chair and asks me how much I want cut, which isn't very much because I'm trying to grow my hair out (which has been true for years). he comments about how all the dead ends are going to have to come off, but doesn't specify a precise length which worries me, and I get very agitated and afraid and say, no, I don't trust you, you're not touching my hair! I start shouting at him, throwing things like cotton balls and towels, and running around the salon causing a ruckus. my mom sits in the chair, embarrassed that I am causing such a scene, and in Beverly Hills too. eventually my mom and I run out of the salon, the front of which is now on a waterfront, and we hop in a small two person boat to make our getaway. I'm sitting in the rear, steering with a handle that should be attached to the boat but isn't, and because I've never steered a boat in real life I don't think my brain quite knew in the dream how that was supposed to look. all I could come up with was a wooden stick with a propeller on the end, but I put that in the water and somehow we started to move. we went through what looked like ice caverns and the water was a brilliant blue color. eventually we came to a wide open cavern that was a hidden warehouse for some company and they were just getting a shipment of something in. the warehouse workers were really surprised to see us there and wondered where we came from. we were talking, and then I woke up.

a lot of this dream has to do with little moments throughout the past couple of days, like talking about haircuts and trying to refocus my energy from fashion to function... and I think the rejection of Beverly Hills has a lot to do with re-embracing my punk roots and also the fact that I was in california recently and nothing felt quite right.

1 comment:

J. said...

lol, brain vomit. dude, if that dream is brain vomit, then my clothes are drenched in upchuck from the posts i put up. i can totally relate to you about the so cal thing...i'm trying to reconcile my roots with my aversions toward so cal since family and friends are there and i plan to return to them one day :P