so in the midst of finals here in portland, I've been having very weird dreams, possibly from taking melatonin but also I think my brain is struggling to deal with all the stress I've been putting it under in waking life. (thankfully, as of yesterday, finals are over!! yay!) unfortunately I can't remember more than a few moments of most of these dreams but I'll attempt to recreate them...
a couple of nights ago, I had this dream: I was here in portland, and my friend e from high school came to visit me. I think in the dream we were dating (we did date in high school briefly) or something, because we were kissing. we were up on this platform, which was sort of like a freeway overpass, and there were various ramps crisscrossing around us. we were waiting for the MAX (the lightrail) and I was explaining to him that all the public transportation downtown was free, I think in an attempt to get him to move here (which has been on my mind a lot lately--I'm trying to convince a lot of my friends that portland is way better than socal!), and he was pretty excited about that. we started walking down the platform and ended up walking through a hotel lobby or music center party room, someplace where a lot of people had gathered before or after a performance. people started yelling my name, and at first I pretended not to hear because I was annoyed, but finally I turned around and it was my family! my mom, my sister, my brother, my nieces, my aunt, and my gramma (who passed away 6 1/2 years ago). they're all opening presents like it's some kind of easter celebration, and my gramma has decided to give everyone a different kind of perfume. now, my gramma in the dream is very different than she was in real life, at least from what I remember, but I'm the youngest in my family so I never really knew her when she was younger, but in my dream she is definitely young and thriving, with brown hair (in my youth it was always white) and she's very beautiful and glamourous like a movie star, luminous and sparkling, and she won't stop hugging me because she's so happy to see me. (in real life, I never really felt that she liked me at all, so this dream image is really startling to me. then again, we always tend to remember the bad stuff more than the good stuff, so maybe that isn't really fair.) also, my aunt (whom my mom doesn't talk to anymore because of some long-running feud) doesn't speak at all, doesn't even acknowledge me but is just sitting in this chair wearing birkenstocks. I don't think she got any perfume. that's all I remember.
Thursday, December 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
aww, that's such a sweet dream, a! i'm sorry about your gramma! i never knew...years ago... but i love the grandma dream bit! remind me to share with you stories about these kind of dreams and taiwanese beliefs about the deceased...
at any rate, i think you should ask some questions and find out what your gramma was like when she was younger. see if there's any correlations. or maybe her youth is symbolic of something...
a typical dream explanation might be that you're trying to resolve that part of your life. you always felt like she didn't like you and maybe your dream is giving you that resolve and reassurance that she did very much.
-amateur dream interpreter
Post a Comment