Saturday, June 21, 2008

That Old Job

Getting a source of income has been rather high up on my list of things to do since I got back from Boston recently, so it's no surprise that I would end up having a dream about working sooner or later.

This time, the dream was from my own perspective:

It's daytime and I walk into the front door of the horn shop which I used to work at in Seattle a few years ago. This is a bit odd because I used to enter through the back door when I worked there in reality. It's a small shop and it looks pretty much like I remember it except it's really messy. I suppose that part is pretty accurate though... It still has that ugly raspberry red carpet. A sky blue divider is in the corner next to the desk, by the front window. This place needs desperately to be redecorated!

It's staffed by maybe six people including the three who worked there with me in real life, but also a number of people whom I've never seen before. For some reason, everyone seems to be incompetent and/or off task.

It's my first day back and my old boss, Brad, has already rehired me, but he's not in today. So, I walk over to my old desk and find just a pile of unsorted papers.

There is a note by the phone from Brad to me at my desk which has a checklist of things to do, like calling in completed repairs, doing the rental billing, checking the voicemail, cleaning the instruments on the wall, etc. These were some of my actual duties when I worked there in real life. The note also says "Do the billing first today!"

For some reason, on this checklist the password to check the voicemail is my debit card pin number, which I can attest to fact that it was not at the real store.

Things start to fade real fast at this point...and then I'm awake!

If I understand how lucid dreaming works, I may have screwed up initiating a lucid dream right here at this point. Although, I'm not sure if I realized that the voicemail password wasn't correct in the dream. I think it was immediately after I woke up that I figured it out. However, if I had gotten it in the dream, I probably could have taken control of the experience. Well, there's always tonight to try again. ;-)

4 comments:

J. said...

i just skimmed through the dream, because it's late and i'm tired...BUT, i do want to tell you, in regards to lucid dreaming, as frivolous as it may sound to take cue from a movie, what actually worked for me was the intention of or focused thought on looking for a light switch in my dream. In your dream, a clock or light switch would look or work differently than expected. This information may not be so frivolous if the movie "waking life" is based on actual insights and experiences into lucid dreaming, which if I remember correctly, it is. Just Google Book "lucid dreaming" "light switch" or something like that, if you're that interested in the experience!

J. said...

and then blog back your lucid dreams!!! hahaha that would be awesome...

ann-m-squared said...

that is such an interesting idea with the lightswitch. i have been trying to do some sort of lucid dreaming in regards to a string of height nightmares i was having a bit ago. the only problem is that I am usually on top of a building where there are less things to interact with...still trying but suggestions are always welcome!

J. said...

hey ann, sorry! i don't have any suggestions for that situation, since i've never been in it! i feel like you just have to take seize of the moment you become conscious and decide to do something. but that's about all i can say.