Monday, June 23, 2008

Every Actor's Worst Nightmare

When I was ten years old, I played the title role in a fairly high-profile production of Oliver! It was a successful run which lasted about three or four months in two venues with six or seven shows each week. From time to time I think about it and generally my thoughts and memories are positive.

However, just a few moments ago, I awoke from what must be characterized as every actor's worst nightmare:

I am back in Oliver! again. It's the end of a scene and I am offstage left standing just behind the line of sight from the audience. There are some people in center stage who are reciting some dialogue. Suddenly, I realize that my cue has just been stated and I can't remember the monologue I'm supposed to go out and do now!

I walk out and throw a glance to the person who just said my cue and he immediately gets the message, he attempts to improvise something for me, but fails miserably. The audience quickly becomes aware of what has happened and begins to get up and walk out...

I shout out, "wait a second!" to the audience, which by the way, I'd have been fired if I'd ever really so brazenly broken character like I just did. I run offstage right, I grab a copy of the script and proceed to return to the stage with script in hand to recite my dialogue.

The audience is not at all amused and starts to leave; boos are heard...

I wake up!

5 comments:

J. said...

Maybe you feel, in waking life, that you are losing the attention of someone... It's interesting that the Oliver show is the signifier for this loss. If I had to take at a stab at guessing, I would say this might have to do with your parents moving, maybe losing the attention of your mom... only because you told me her role in your young theatrical/acting endeavors...

J. said...

did that make sense? I meant, maybe Oliver was used in your dream to indicate this loss of attention specifically from something or someone that you would associate with that play or time in your life...

b dub said...

I think it was just a stress dream. I have a hard time imagining myself reciting an entire script from memory again. Also, I vividly can remember a similar situation actually happening in real life during this show...although it wasn't my fault: one of my props was thrown offstage accidentally and the rest of the scene had to be improvised...

J. said...

ha...interesting...so, you still think about acting sometimes? i mean, not necessarily doing it...

b dub said...

Absolutely! Being onstage at the center of attention in that way was so thrilling and traumatic all at once, I can't help but think about it from time to time. ;-)