Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Lady And The Crocodile

She sailed away on a lovely summer day
on the back of a crocodile
You see said she he's as tame as he could be
and I'll float him down the Nile
But the croc winked his eye as the lady waved goodbye
wearing a happy smile
At the end of the ride, the lady was inside
and the smile was on the crocodile!


[from the morning of Nov 3]

I was at a bus stop outside a cafe with my sisters E and F, and a newer friend B. The cafe had museum-style front concrete steps that descended right down to the road. We were getting kind of stir crazy, so I grabbed some chairs and put them on the first couple steps, and we all sat.

E started to do something silly to pass the time, and I started singing the Crocodile song from my childhood, doing the hand motions and everything. E also sang along. When we got to the "tame as he could be" line, my sister said "rise as he could be," and I stopped singing. I said, "It's not 'rise,' it's 'tame!'" Everyone sort of scowled at me and F said, "'Rise' is just another way of saying 'tame.'" I became really upset, got up in a flustered huff, and stormed off to the next bus stop ahead.

As I approached the 7-11 where the next bus stop was, I noticed that two buses were coming up, so I started running to the bus stop. One bus passed me, and it wasn't mine. The next was the 333, which is the express version of the 33, which goes by my street. I got on the bus and asked if they were gong west or east on Venice. The bus driver told me west.

My sisters were on the bus. I asked where grandma was...

...and that's all I remember.

4 comments:

J. said...

That...is an awesome dream.

I mean, I guess it's a little sad 'cause you got upset, but from an outsider perspective it's a really well-dreamt glimpse into your childhood/family. "rise" so does not mean "tame," does it? That part was really funny.

bananasplitz said...

haha I agree with J!! awesome dream dandan!
are your sisters older than you?? are you the youngest? that sounds a lot like my childhood too...

dandan said...

I am indeed the youngest. In a lot of ways, it sums up a lot of feelings I have to this day about people not believing me, and how I've found that I assert my opinions a little too much when I think I know I'm right.

J. said...

ooh. was your grandma a person who you trusted a lot or relied on for comfort? cause i just reread your post and was thinking that would make sense when you saw your sisters and said, "where's grandma?" after what had happened.

and i want to say 1) kudos to ashley for consistently being insightful in her comments or questions on this blog, in general! 2) dan, ashley...we are all the youngest of our siblings! and it is totes classic baby-of-the-family syndrome to not be taken seriously...! i feel you on that one, dan...my family wonders why i make such a fuss sometimes... ! dang it, it's cause we're talking sense and no one's takin' in the gold! j/k. sorta not really :P