I'm sharing an apartment with two people, Nan (my current roommate) and AL (an old friend). The apartment and location is not from anywhere familiar in my waking life. Nan, AL, and I are in the dim, square-shape living room, probably doing something with music. Then, AL suddenly decides to leave, giving some excuse.
I'm now in a hotel with my family. At first, we're inside a hotel room that AL is sharing with us. But then, he says that he changes his mind about staying there, "Actually, my grandfather lives several floors up. I'm staying there." He leaves. My family and I are all heading out of the room, down some floors. I overhear AL tell someone else another lie about where he's staying. That's when I realize he's lying all over the place to different people and that even his personality changes when he's with different people. However, I can see his duplicitousness is not ill-mannered--his situation is actually sad, because he responds to the people he's around like a chameleon and is so deep into the adaption that he's lost any sense of identity unassociated with other people. As I'm realizing this, I see these different parts of him on a stage, and I can understand and even relate to that separation of oneself into different parts from my past experience. But I no longer suffer that sense of lostness of ungrounded self and want to offer him my insights from my past experience to help relieve his suffering since it is clear how he feels. He's sitting next to me in audience seats, where we're watching the stage with my family sitting in the seats behind us. He kisses me, and then I kiss him, and then we kiss again. (This may have been earlier in the dream. I'm confused because AL comes and goes several times and the scene changes so many times.) Eventually, somewhere AL disappears, and there is something about me staging one of his plays without him knowing it and feeling proud about it. I want to find him and tell him, but I have no idea where to find him. My family, on the other hand, is searching for two other people. Eventually, I sort of split up from them.
In my search for AL, I reach a room in the hotel with high ceilings and a large, indoor swimming pool. A friend of AL's is there, and I let him know I am looking for AL. I want to tell AL about his play. He appears (but he looks like a different person than the initial person in my dream), and he heads slowly, as if in a trance, towards the pool. His clothes are on, but he just feels compelled to walk into the deep end of the pool, similar to the part in the book, The Awakening where Edna feels drawn to the ocean. He doesn't want to swim, per se. He steps into the pool and is exerting little effort to swim, and I'm wondering if he is going to try to drown himself, especially since he started out with such a far-away, blank sort of stare...
I forget the rest of the dream...but I wake up shortly afterwards
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
hmm, this dream seems hard to pin down because there's so much going on in it! it seems like it had a very restless, wandering feeling about it... the part that sticks out to me the most is the part about AL not having a grounded identity and you being at this point of being able to teach him or ground him somehow, which is really interesting! that part of the dream sounds really affirming and strong for you which is awesome. I don't know about the rest, like the pool part... have you talked to AL recently? (I don't know who that is, just wondering :D )
dreammoods seems to think that water symbolizes emotion, so maybe AL diving in relates to that somehow?? I'm kind of grasping for straws here :P
Post a Comment