Monday, March 9, 2009

ScienceDaily: Why Dreams Are So Difficult to Remember

I found this while browsing Digg. Here is the meat of the story:
The team did indeed hear "bursts" of neuronal chatter during sleep--but only during a phase of sleep known as slow-wave sleep (SWS), the deep, dreamless periods of sleep. "It turns out that during slow-wave sleep there are these episodes where a lot of the cells in the hippocampus will all fire very close to the same time," says Wierzynski. In response, some cells in the prefrontal cortex will fire in near unison as well, just milliseconds later. "What's interesting is that the bulk of the precise spike timing happens during these bursts, and not outside of these bursts," he adds.
On the other hand, during rapid-eye-movement (REM) sleep, the previously chatty neuron pairs seemed to talk right past each other, firing at the same rates as before but no longer in concert.
Read the full article.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi, I'm trying to get hold of DanDan, to invite him to get involved in an art project concerning sleep-talk,

As part of this project - an interesting opportunity came - to stream live sleep-talk, during an event in my college in London THIS SATURDAY

HOW CAN I FIND HIM?

Thanks

Meital

(bellow is the massage for him)



Hi Dan(dan), I have been following your sleep-talking for a while with great pleasure, and wondered if you still record yourself?

I found your site while searching for sleep talkers like me - who are curious about this disorder, which allows them to speak out their dreams. I am an artist, currently studying for a MA in London, and a sleep-talker. Next Saturday I will give a presentation in my college about the relationship between 'real time' and sleep talking. I am looking for a sleep-talker that would agree to be streamed live during the time of the presentation, and thought you will be perfect for that. What do you say? interested?