Monday, December 8, 2008

"there's no point to you."

i can't figure this dream out...not entirely anyway.

My former figure skating coach, who we'll name Star, is giving out an award or honor of some sort in what feels like a living room. There is one other young lady, Star, and me in the room, and I am very joyous, as she gives the award out, since it is a celebratory sort of situation. I am not expecting to receive the award, but when Star announces that the award goes to her new student, it hits me that she completely passed me over for consideration though I've been a student of hers for years.

Feeling insufficiently valued, I start to speak up to her. Somehow, our exchange leads to her telling me bluntly, "There's no point to you!"...meaning that, as a student and skater, there is no point to invest any real effort and value into my training, since she doesn't see me "amounting" to anything competitively. This emotional scenario seems to occur on the second floor, above the living room, in what seems to be a large bathroom. I think at some point, she is even laying in the tub, pregnant, and telling me this in a very mean manner--not to let me down harshly but merely for the sake of stating what she finds to be the annoying truth of me.

I had, up to this point, trusted and relied on Star, in her coaching me and in her intentions. So, when I learned the contradictory truth of her real attitude towards me, I felt devastated more so about her opinion of me as a student than I did about the implication that my skating was purposeless. I was additionally shocked that she felt such meanness towards me, to say what she had directly to me, in a manner that lacked care or concern for me or my feelings.

I go to my mother, who is in the laundry room of our old house (most of the rooms seem to resemble modified areas of the house). Seems like daytime, but the house or natural lighting is somewhat dim.

I'm so upset and asking her, "If Star thought there was no point, then WHY did she keep teaching me?! She should've told me early on that she didn't think there was any point! She should've told me instead of taking our money and teaching me this whole time!" I thought of the writing I had done on figure skating and all the good things I had written about Star that were proving to be untruthful, and immediately regretted writing those good things and wanted to edit the writing to reflect the truth. I continue on to tell my mom, "You always said she was just nice to you, because she wanted money. Is that why she kept teaching me, even though she thought there was no point?? To get paid?" I felt stupid and regretted not having trusted or listened to my mom much earlier on, "Why didn't I believe you? How come I didn't realize it before??" By not trusting my mom's perspective, I had kept myself disillusioned and blind to Star's unworthy intentions and wasted my own efforts with the wrong coach.

Star, being pregnant, is asking or expecting my mom to attend to her in some way (I forget for what). My mom leaves the laundry room to head towards Star upstairs, even after everything I had just vented to her. The whole situation is so messed up. I feel disbelief and question my mom passionately as to why she's still going to attend to Star. Obviously, Star is no friend of ours--my mother was right all along. I'm confused as to why she is still offering her help to Star. While at first, I had been feeling protective of my mother's own dignity in the situation, as she continues on her way, I start to feel more so betrayed by my mother's loyalty to Star than anything.

The dream left me with an unresolved feeling and was slightly upsetting.
-My gut tells me that part of the dream is trying to convey to me that love is complicated. For instance, I disregard my mother's concern and continue taking lessons. My mother continues to support me, and in consequence, is forced to support Star. She cannot just stop this effort she has endeavored in.
-Also, I think this speaks to the part of me that seems to clash with the competitive element of society, the part that isn't quite in the game, even though I may be playing along.
-The coach dream character does not resemble the demeanor of or experience with the real coach I had. So, I think she is here in the dream to symbolize something instead of being an actual representation of someone.

No comments: